Monday 30 May 2011

The seventh side of the hexagon / Le septième côté de l'hexagone

(I am linking this post to Amy's Sew and Tell party, be sure to check it out and see what everyone's been up to)

I am so happy to show you my finished hexie bag today.  I started working on it way back in March.  The paper piecing took me quite a while, but I enjoyed it very much.  There is something about handsewing that motivates me, probably the fact that by doing so, I really feel like the item is handmade and therefore more valuable to my eyes.

Je suis très heureuse de vous présenter aujourd'hui mon sac en hexagones, enfin terminé.  Je l'avais commencé il y a déjà un bon moment, au mois de mars.  L'assemblage des hexagones à la main, avec la technique du papier, m'a demandé beaucoup de temps, et m'a apporté aussi une grande satisfaction.  Il y a quelque chose dans la couture à la main qui me motive et m'encourage, probablement le fait qu'en travaillant lentement à la main, j'ai l'impression que l'item terminé aura une plus grande valeur, du moins à mes yeux.

When I was done piecing the hexagons, I wasted a lot of time trying to choose a lining fabric, and I realised that a solid color would have worked beautifully, but I didn't want to buy any more fabrics for this bag, so I thought about it long and hard and finally settled for this large print by Kaffe Fassett.

Il  m'a fallu si longtemps pour le terminé parce que j'hésitais sur le tissu à choisir pour la doublure intérieure.  Un tissu uni aurait fait un bel effet, mais comme j'étais décidée à ne pas acheter davantage de tissu pour ce sac et à utiliser ce que j'avais déjà à la maison, j'ai finalement opté pour ce large imprimé de fleurs par Kaffe Fassett.

I had to read the instructions more than twice before I understood how to make the lining and attach the handles, and I am still not sure that I did it exactly as the book instructed, but I must say that I am very happy with the result.

J'ai relu les instructions à plusieurs reprises avant de comprendre comment coudre la doublure et finir le sac en  y insérant les poignées.  Je ne suis toujours pas certaine de m'y être prise exactement comme dans le livre, mais je dois dire que je suis assez fière du résultat.

The pattern was intended for a knitting bag, but since I don't knit, it could be a crochet bag, or just an all-purpose bag, I like those very much!

Le patron était destiné à un sac à tricot, qui se traduit pour moi par un sac à crochet, dans lequel je pourrai ranger mes balles de laine et mes petits travaux au crochet, ou encore en faire un sac tout usage, toujours pratique!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to use hexagons! I'd never thought of that. I love to embroider, so I am never wanting for hand sewn projects, but I am really taken by this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE this! Beautiful way to use hexagons, and I've been wanting to make a bag with those kind of handles!

    ReplyDelete