Sunday 19 April 2009

Let the sun shine in!

It has been sunny all week long, this feels so good after the gloom and greyness of the past weeks. All this sun has made me think of summer, of course, but also of sunflowers. I have a thing for this flower, I like its extremes in sizes, and its simplicity in colors and shapes. Last year I grew a miniature variety of sunflower, called "Teddy Bear". It is the name that first caught my attention, and then I was curious to see what they would look like, because they seemed like pompoms on the packet.

Last year was not a good one to grow flowers here, because it was cold and it rained most of the time, so I feared they would never blossom, but they finally dit in late October, and I quickly brought them inside and put them in a vase before the frost killed them.

This year, I plan on growing another variety, of medium height, called "Sunspot". I have the seeds ready, I can't wait to be able to put them in the soil and watch them grow.

In the meantime, before I can enjoy the real flowers, I can always rely on sunflower designs, such as this simple one below that I did in cross-stitch


and then decided to turn into a little bookmark for my summer readings.


Enjoy the sun!
Sylvie

2 comments:

  1. very nice blog~ ^^
    Do you know Seoul, Korea?
    IF not, feel free to visit my blog~
    Thanks a lot ! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Thanks for dropping by my blog.
    I love sunflowers, all kinds! What lovely cross stitching.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete